The History of George Green’s School
Over 180 years old, George Green’s School is named after a successful shipbuilder; who began his career as an apprentice at the Blackwell Yard in 1782, before marrying his employer’s daughter.
George Green used his wealth on charitable works and founded alms houses, sailors’ homes, a chapel and schools.
Since the first school was built in 1828, the school has undergone many changes, passing through stages of an Elementary and Grammar school from 1928, before becoming the secondary school for the Isle of Dogs with its first comprehensive intake in 1975.
Our vision for the future of George Green’s School is to be an exceptional school at the heart of the community, with strong business links and secure pathways to further education and employment.